Eu Family Reunification Visa In Spain

Do you want to move to Spain to join your EU family members?
Are you feeling incomplete without your family? Spain offers a family reunification visa to bring your family to Spain and reunite you. Sticking with a family makes it a family.

However, it has a procedure that is different from other visas and has certain conditions.

Stay with us so we can explore how you can reunite with your family.

Family Reunification visa in Spain

If you are a non-European citizen, the family reunification visa in Spain is a formal immigration procedure that allows you, as you are holding a valid residence permit in the country, to bring your relatives to Spain, granting them both a residence and work permit. To be eligible for this process, it’s crucial for you as a foreigner in Spain to have already renewed your initial residence authorization, indicating you have legally resided in the country for at least one year. 

If you have been in Spain for less than a year, you still need to be eligible to apply for family reunification.

Furthermore, as a standard requirement, as an applicant, you typically need to demonstrate that the relative you wish to bring to Spain is economically dependent on you. This involves providing detailed documentation showcasing the financial dependence, such as proof of financial support, bank statements, or other relevant financial documents.

The process for demonstrating economic dependence will vary based on the specific relationship between you as an applicant and your family member. These regulations are essential for you if you are seeking to reunite with your family members under the family reunification visa category in Spain.

With whom can you reunite in Spain through a family reunification visa?

You can reunite with your Spouse and Partner 

Surely, you want to grow old with your spouse and parents and be able to say that you’ve lived an amazing life together.

If you have Married spouses of Spanish citizens or legal residents, as well as unmarried partners in a stable and long-term relationship, you can bring them to Spain.

It has some requirements 

  • Marriage certificate for spouses or proof of a stable relationship for unmarried partners.
  • Evidence of sufficient financial means to support the partner in Spain.
  • Adequate accommodation for the partner in Spain.
  • There is no criminal record for you, both the sponsor and the partner.

You can reunite with your Parent and Child  

If you are a Spanish citizen or legal resident, you can reunite with your parents and minor children (under 18) of Spanish citizens or legal residents.


  • Birth certificates or family relationship documents.
  • Proof of financial stability to support the parent or child.
  • Accommodation for the parent or child in Spain.
  • There is no criminal record for either the sponsor or the parent or child.
  • You can reunite with your family member if you have an EU Citizen Visa 
  • You can exercise your right to free movement.


  • Proof of relationship with the EU citizen.
  • The EU citizen’s valid passport or ID.
  • Health insurance for the family member.
  • There is no criminal record for the family member.

You can reunite with your Siblings

Children of the same family, the same blood, with the same first associations and habits, have some means of enjoyment in their power, which no subsequent connections can supply a Spanish citizen or legal resident, reunite with your sisters and brothers under certain circumstances.


  • Proof of sibling relationship.
  • Evidence of financial dependency or support.
  • Accommodation in Spain.
  • There is no criminal record for either the sponsor or the sibling.

You can reunite with your grandparents

Everyone needs to have access to grandparents and grandchildren in order to be a full human being.

So, here is good news: You can bring your grandparents as a Spanish citizen if they are the primary caregivers.


  • Evidence of grandparent-grandchild relationship.
  • Documentation proving the need for caregiving.
  • Financial stability to support the grandparent.
  • Accommodation in Spain.
  • There is no criminal record for either the sponsor (the parent) or the grandparent.

You can bring your Dependent Adult Child 

As a Spanish citizen, if you have adult children (over 18) with disabilities who are dependent on you.


  • Proof of the disability and dependency.
  • Evidence of financial support and ability to provide care.
  • Accommodation in Spain.
  • No criminal record for both the sponsor (the parent) and the adult child.

Different requirements for different visas 

Each type of visa has specific documentary requirements, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, proof of financial stability, and accommodation arrangements.

As a sponsor, you (the Spanish citizen or legal resident) are responsible for providing evidence of their relationship with the family member and their ability to support them financially.

  • As an applicant you are usually required to submit your visa applications at the Spanish consulate in their home country.
  • Once approved, the family reunification visa typically grants residence and work permits to the family members, allowing them to live, work, and study in Spain.

It is essential for applicants to carefully review the specific requirements and procedures for the type of family reunification visa they are applying for and to seek legal assistance you can contact us at Marfour International law firm  if needed to ensure a smooth application process.

Demonstrating Financial Capacity for Family Reunification in Spain

One of the pivotal requirements for a successful family reunification visa application in Spain is the demonstration of sufficient economic means. 

This section is dedicated to providing a comprehensive overview of the necessary details:

Financial Threshold:

The key criterion involves proving an income equal to or exceeding 150% of the IPREM (Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples).

For instance, if you are reuniting with a single family member, such as a spouse, you must exhibit income equal to or greater than 150% of the IPREM.

When bringing multiple relatives, an additional 50% of the IPREM must be shown for each additional family member.

Required Documentation:

Employment Contract: 

Submission of a valid employment contract is crucial, ideally for a minimum duration of one year. An indefinite employment contract is highly favorable.

Recent Payslips: 

Providing the last six months’ payslips serves as evidence of consistent income.

Income Tax Statement (for Self-Employed Individuals)

If you are self-employed (an autónomo), inclusion of the most recent income tax statement (Declaración de la Renta) is necessary.

Example Scenario:

Let’s consider the IPREM at 8.400 euros per annum.

Bringing a single family member (e.g., spouse):

Demonstrating 150% of the IPREM amounts to 12.600 euros per year.

When seeking to reunite with two relatives:

150% of the IPREM for the first relative: 12.600 euros.

An additional 50% for the second relative. 

Duration of the Family Reunification Procedure

The process of obtaining a family reunification visa typically spans around 6 months from initiation to completion.

However, the overall timeline can vary based on several factors, including appointment availability at immigration offices and the consulate’s response time to the visa application.

To provide a clearer understanding, let’s break down the procedure step-by-step:

1. Initiating the Application:

The first step is for the family member already in Spain to secure an appointment at the immigration office and commence the formal application process.

This involves completing and submitting the EX- form along with all the required documentation mentioned earlier in this article.

2. Response from Immigration Office:

The immigration office typically has a timeframe of 3 months to provide a response to the application.

In the event of administrative silence (silencio administrativo) after this period, the request is considered denied.

More details on administrative silence for immigration applications can be found here.

3. Visa Application at Spanish Consulate:

Upon receiving a positive response from the immigration office, the family member abroad seeking reunification must apply for a visa at the Spanish consulate in their home country.

The consulate usually takes a maximum of 2 months to process the visa application.

4. Visa Issuance and Travel:

After the consulate approves the visa, the family member being reunited will receive it within 2 months.

The individual must then enter Spain within 3 months of receiving the visa.

5. Residence Card (TIE) Application in Spain:

Upon arrival in Spain, the regrouped family member has 1 month to apply for the residence card known as the Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE).

Fees and Associated Costs of Family Reunification Visa in Spain

When applying for a family reunification visa in Spain, there are several fees and associated costs to consider throughout the process. Below is an overview of the main expenses involved:

Visa Application Fee:

The visa application fee for family reunification varies depending on the type of visa and the applicant’s nationality.

As of the last update, the standard fee for a family reunification visa is approximately 60 to 90 euros.

However, fees may vary, so it is recommended to check the specific fee applicable to your case at the Spanish consulate or embassy where you are applying.

Translation and Legalization Costs:

All foreign documents required for the visa application, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, and other official documents, must be translated into Spanish.

Translation costs may vary based on the complexity and length of the documents.

Additionally, some documents may require legalization or apostille, which incurs additional fees.

Health Insurance:

As part of the visa requirements, family members seeking reunification must have valid health insurance coverage during their stay in Spain.

The cost of health insurance will depend on the type of coverage selected and the duration of the policy.

Health insurance premiums can range from approximately 50 to 150 euros per month per person, depending on the coverage options.

Travel Costs:

The regrouped family member(s) will incur travel expenses to the Spanish consulate in their home country to apply for the visa.

Flight tickets, accommodation, and transportation costs should be factored in.

Residence Card (TIE) Fee:

After arriving in Spain, the regrouped family member(s) must apply for the Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE), or Foreigner Identity Card.

The fee for the TIE application is approximately 15 to 20 euros.

Tips for a Successful Family Reunification Visa Application in Spain

Applying for a family reunification visa in Spain can be a complex process, but careful preparation and attention to detail can greatly increase the chances of a successful application. 

Here are some tips to help you navigate the process effectively:

Start Early and Plan Ahead:

Begin the application process well in advance of your planned reunification date to allow ample time for gathering documents, translations, and appointments.

Familiarize yourself with the specific requirements for the type of family reunification visa you are applying for.

Gather Required Documents:

Ensure you have all necessary documents, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, employment contracts, payslips, and health insurance.

Remember to translate foreign documents into Spanish by a certified translator and legalize or apostille them if required.

Financial Documentation:

Provide clear and detailed evidence of your financial stability, meeting or exceeding the required income threshold.

Include employment contracts, recent payslips, income tax statements, and any other relevant financial documents.

Accommodation Proof:

Demonstrate that you have suitable accommodation for your family member(s) in Spain.

Include rental agreements, property deeds, or other documentation showing adequate housing arrangements.

Health Insurance:

Obtain valid health insurance coverage for your family member(s) during their stay in Spain.

Ensure the insurance policy meets the minimum requirements specified by Spanish authorities.

Maintain Clear Communication:

Stay informed about the progress of your application and any updates or requests from the consulate or immigration office.

Respond promptly to any communication and provide requested documents or information in a timely manner.

Seek Professional Assistance:

Consider seeking guidance from an immigration lawyer or consultant with experience in family reunification visas.

We are here at Marfour Law Firm only to assist you.We have English speaking  immigration lawyers who can assist you at every step.


Here are some important FAQs:

1. Can I apply for family reunification if I am self-employed?

Yes, self-employed individuals (autónomos) can apply for family reunification in Spain. They must provide their latest income tax statement, evidence of stable income, and other relevant financial documentation.

2. What happens after the family member receives the visa?

Once the family member receives the visa from the Spanish consulate, they must enter Spain within 3 months. Upon arrival, they have 1 month to apply for the Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE), or Foreigner Identity Card, which grants them legal residence.


Obtaining a residence visa in Spain is a significant step if you are seeking to live, work, study, or reunite with family members in this vibrant and diverse country. 

The Spanish residence visa offers a pathway to legal residence and opens doors to various opportunities within Spain’s rich cultural landscape.

All European citizens who wish to move to Spain for more than three months have the right to live in Spain and the right to reunify certain members of their families who are not European Union citizens.

Thanks to the Directive 2004/38 EC, all EU citizens can move freely to another country accompanied by their family members.

Our English-speaking immigration lawyers in Spain can help you understand this process and guide you step by step.

obtained EU Family Reunification permits

assisted Clients


satisfied clients

Who can you reunify with?

  1. Spouse or civil partner (see more about Civil Partnership in Spain).
  2. Descendants of EU citizens, and his/her spouse’s descendants.
  3. In certain circumstances, the ancestor of an EU citizen or his/her spouse´s ancestors.

According to the law, they have the right to temporarily reside and work in Spain for a period of up to 5 years. They will also be allowed to travel within the Schengen Area without restrictions or extra paperwork.

What are the main requirements for the EU Family REUNIFICATION Visa in Spain?

  1. EU citizens must have enough savings to care for their spouse, civil partner, children, or parents.
  2. They should be able to prove the family link between themselves and the non-EU citizen effectively (civil partnership, marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc.).
  3. They must be able to prove that they live together at the same address.
  4. The non-EU citizen can apply even if he or she has overstayed their tourist Schengen visa.

Do not hesitate to contact our team of immigration lawyers in Spain to get more information.

How to apply for the Spanish EU Family Reunification visa and bring your relatives to Spain?

Both the EU citizen or their non-EU citizen family member can submit the residence authorization application. The request is made online.

At Marfour International Law Firm, our immigration lawyers in Spain can submit your application on your behalf.

The Immigration Office in your area will evaluate your case. The administration has up to three months to resolve your request.

Once the request has been favorably resolved, the applicant should proceed to apply for the authorization card, known as the TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero).

Partnership Union Registration – Parejas De Hecho

Do you have a European or Spanish partner living in Spain, but you have not formally registered the relationship in order to apply for the Spanish EU Family Reunification Visa?

If so, our immigration lawyers in Madrid and Barcelona can help you formally register your partnership in order to qualify for this process without needing to get married.

Please note that the requirements and processes for the partnership union can be different for each city in Spain.

Essentially, the main requirements for the registration of your partnership union are

  • Must not be currently married.
  • Must be 18 years or older.
  • Must live with your partner.
  • In some cities you may need to prove a certain length of time of cohabitation.

Do not hesitate to contact our immigration lawyers in Spain for more detailed information.


I am from Germany and my wife from the Philippines, thanks to Marfour International Law Firm; we could gain a residence and work authorization for my wife. They are very professional and clear from the beginning they told us which documents we will need for the process and how the application will be. Thank you very much to all Marfour Team.


Eu Family Reunification

They helped me to get Eu family residence card for my wife from Peru. Thank you very much.

Alessio Patricio

Eu Family Reunification


Contact us, and Marfour International Law Firm will assist you in obtaining your EU Family Reunification residency and work permit in Spain. One of our specialized English-speaking lawyers will contact you immediately to help and advise you. Do not hesitate to send us your enquiry.

Phone: +34 698 917 840
C/ de Bailèn, 36,  4º 2ª  Izda, 08010 Barcelona
Codigo QR - Marfour

Request A Consultation