Self-Employed Work Visa In Spain

Do you plan on moving to Spain and setting up your own business ? If so, Marfour is the right immigration law firm in Spain to guide you through this process step by step.

This type of work visa in Spain is ideal for non-EU citizens who wish to come to Spain to work as freelancers or set up a business.

Anyone can set up a business in Spain without any restrictions, our immigration lawyers can help you to set up your business and obtain your Self-Employed Visa in Spain (Autorización de residencia y trabajo por cuenta propia).

The first Spanish work visa is valid for one year. After the first year, the applicant can keep renewing their Spanish self-employed work permit every two years. To continue renewing the residence permit, the applicant must live in Spain and pay social security and taxes to the tax agency. After five years of residence in Spain, the applicant can apply for a Spanish permanent residence permit, known as the Long-Term Residence Permit (Tarjeta de Larga Duración).

obtained Work Visas

assisted Clients


satisfied clients

What are the main requirements for this Spanish Work Permit?

The main requirements for the Spanish self-employed work visa are as follows:

  1. To have a business plan.
  2. To have enough savings in order to run the business and to take care of its expenses.
  3. To be 18 years of age or older.
  4. To not have a criminal record.
  5. To have the licenses and local authorizations necessary for running the business.
  6. To have the necessary professional qualification and experience in order to run the planned business.

How I can get the Spanish Self-Employed Work Visa?

The application process involves submitting the application to the Spanish Consulate in the country of origin or legal residence. The Spanish authorities have a maximum of three months to issue a resolution. If the resolution is positive, the Spanish Consulate will issue a visa valid for three months. The applicant must then travel to Spain within these three months to continue the process and obtain the TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) Card.

Once the applicant arrives in Spain, they have to enroll at the social security and the tax office as an Autonomo or AIE (impuesto sobre actividades economicas). Moreover, being self-employed requires having an accounting advisor (well known in Spanish as a gestor or asesoria) to correctly file your tax declarations and VAT declarations.

Finally, the applicant has one month in order to get their fingerprints taken for obtaining their TIE-Foreigner Residence Card.

Our English-speaking immigration lawyer in Spain can assist you throughout the entire process. We will guide you through all stages, including drafting your business plan, handling your self-employment application, managing your accounting, and registering with social security.

What does this service include?

  1. Tailored legal advice.
  2. Guidance on gathering the necessary documents.
  3. Dealing and arranging the meetings with the Spanish authorities on behalf of the client.
  4. Direct contact with the Spanish Consulate.
  5. Assist with translating the documents into Spanish.
  6. Drafting your business plan.
  7. Following the application until its resolution.
  8. Assisting with the registration at the Spanish City Council.
  9. Preparing of the corresponding forms and administration fee.
  10. Assisting with arranging a meeting with the police in Spain to obtain the TIE Card.

Do You Need To Renew Your Self-Emloyed Work Authorization In Spain?

Marfour International Law Firm has the right immigration lawyers to assist you with renewing your Spanish work authorization.

If your card is expiring soon, you should start gathering the necessary documents to submit the renewal during the 60 days before the card expiration date or 90 days after the card expires.

work permits renewed


satisfied clients

What are the main requirements to renew my Self-Employed Work Authorization in Spain?

Meet one of the following criteria:

  • Maintain the same situation that warranted the authorization or
  • Qualify as a beneficiary of protection due to termination of activity.
  • Additionally, ensure there are no outstanding debts with the social security or tax agency.

How can I submit the renewal of my Self-Employed Work Visa in Spain?

The application can be submitted by your Spanish immigration lawyer on your behalf to the immigration office of you city.

The administration has up to three months to issue a resolution. If the application is not resolved within three months from the submission date, it is understood to have been approved by virtue of the positive silence principle of the administration.

After the approval of your renewal, the applicant will proceed with the application of the TIE-card.


I had a very good professional experience with this law firm. The help me gather the necessary documents and review all them together before the submission. Very attentive and they were very quick come forward with answers to all my doubts, I was so luck to have them as my legal adviser.

Tania Ivanov


Due to Brexit, I had to move to Spain in order to continue during successful my business.
It was very complicated to move my company from UK to Spain. Although it is long process, they knew very well how to handle the process during each step. They drafted an exception business plan for me. I highly recommend Marfour team for self-employed visa application and set up a company in Spain. Thank you very much for making the process easier and simple.

Bryan Adams



Contact us, and Marfour International Law Firm will assist you in obtaining your Self-Employed Work Visa in Spain. One of our specialized English Speaking Lawyers will contact you immediately to help and advise. Do not hesitate to send us your enquiry.

Phone: +34 698 917 840
C/ de Bailèn, 36,  4º 2ª  Izda, 08010 Barcelona
Codigo QR - Marfour

Request A Consultation