Spanish Student Visa

Oh! Are you tired of learning in your hometown, and do you want to study in Europe as a non-European citizen? Then be happy. Spain offers Spanish Student visas to transform you into the best version of yourself.

Spanish Student Visa Essentials: A Complete Guide

Spanish Student visa

Oh! Are you tired of learning in your hometown, and do you want to study in Europe as a non-European citizen? Then be happy. Spain offers Spanish Student visas to transform you into the best version of yourself.

It is challenging to find something that fits your comfort zone. Therefore, you need to get out of it to be among the world’s leaders.

What do you have to do about it? You need to apply for it. We will tell you everything about student visas in Spain, such as how to get a student permit, which courses are offered by Spain, whether this study visa will work for you after you complete the study duration, and more.

Spanish Student Visa:  Visa de Estudiante España

If you are a non-European citizen and want to know about student visas in Spain, we are describing them for you.

A Spanish student visa is a residence permit that enables you, as a non-EU citizen, to reside in Spain while pursuing studies. You may study at public or private educational institutions, conduct research, or undergo training with this student visa.

  • Indeed, it is specifically designed for you if you are interested in enrolling in professional training courses, master’s programs, postgraduate courses, PhDs, or bachelor’s degrees in Spain. This visa serves as the gateway for you.
  • Moreover, it is essential to understand that a student visa does not help obtain a regular residence permit. Instead, it grants authorization to live in Spain only for academic purposes.
  • However, thanks to the recent reform of the Immigration Law, the student visa presents significant advantages for non-EU citizens.
  • On a study visa, you are permitted to work up to 30 hours per week without the need for additional permits.

Furthermore, upon completion of studies, regardless of the duration, you can modify the work permit. That work permit offers you promising opportunities for further professional growth and development in Spain.

A student visa is necessary for non-European citizens to study in Spain

If you are a non-EU citizen planning to study or conduct research in Spain, then yes, you will need a student visa. This visa is a residence authorization specifically for study purposes.

In Spain, there are different types of student visas depending on the nature and duration of the study program.

 Here are the main types of student visas:

Short-Term Student Visa (Visado de Estancia por Estudios):

You need this visa if you want to enroll in short-term courses or programs, typically lasting less than 90 days. It is suitable for language courses, workshops, or short-term training programs. However, you are not permitted to work with this visa.

Long-Term Student Visa (Visado de Estancia por Estudios Superior a 90 Días):

If you enroll yourself in long-term courses or programs that exceed 90 days, you need this visa. It covers academic programs such as university degrees, master’s programs, PhDs, postgraduate studies, and professional training courses.

With this visa, you are allowed to work part-time as long as you are doing bachelor/master/ PhD(up to 30 hours per week) during the academic year and full-time during holiday periods.

How long does a student visa work in Spain?

  • If you are applying for a student visa in Spain for more than one year, the maximum duration you can obtain is two years.
  • For instance, if your enrolled course or master’s program spans two years, you will not need to renew your visa between the first and second years or extend your stay.
  • Upon your arrival in Spain, however, you will still need to schedule an appointment at the Immigration Office to process and receive your physical TIE Card.

How long does a student visa work in Spain?

If your academic year or program lasts for one year or less, the process varies:

Academic Year Lasting More Than 6 Months:

  • In this case, you will receive a residence card.
  • You will need to schedule an appointment at the immigration office in Spain to process your residency card.
  • This additional step ensures that you have the proper documentation for your extended stay.

Program Shorter Than 6 Months:

  • If your program is shorter than six months, you will only receive a stamp on your passport.
  • This stamp serves as a confirmation of your student visa.
  • You will not need to process any physical card ( TIE CARD) or residency documentation later on.

You can get a Student visa extension in Spain.

If you need to extend your student visa in Spain, you will need to follow certain steps and meet specific requirements. Here is a general overview of the process:

  1. It’s essential to begin the process well before your current visa expires. Ideally, start at least 60 days before the expiration date.
  2. Ensure that you are eligible for a visa extension. Typically, this involves continuing your studies program in Spain.
  3. Gather the necessary documents.
  4.  Your lawyer will apply on your behalf to the immigration office where you will be styding.
  5. Submit your application and documents to the Immigration Office.
  6. You may be asked to provide biometric data (fingerprints).
  7. After submitting your application, the Immigration Office will process your request.
  8. The processing time can vary, but it typically takes a few weeks to a couple of months.
  9. If your visa extension is approved, you will receive a notification to collect your residence card (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero or TIE).
  10. Make an appointment to pick up your TIE at the designated office.
  11. Keep your educational institution informed of the progress of your visa extension.
  12. Once you receive your visa extension, make sure to comply with all the conditions stated, such as continuing your studies and not exceeding the allowed work hours.

The Spanish Student Visa Checklist is here!

Acceptance Letter:

Obtain an acceptance letter or enrollment confirmation from a recognized Spanish educational institution.


Ensure your passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond your planned stay in Spain.Have at least two blank visa pages.

Completed Visa Application Form:

Fill out the visa application form accurately. You can find this form on the website of the Spanish consulate or embassy in your home country.

Passport Photos:

Provide passport-sized photos meeting the specific requirements of the consulate.

Proof of Financial Means

Show proof of sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees, living expenses, and return travel.

Health insurance

Obtain health insurance that is valid in Spain for the entire duration of your stay. Ensure it meets the minimum coverage requirements set by Spain.


Provide evidence of where you will be staying in Spain. This could be a rental agreement, a letter from your university confirming housing, or a hotel reservation.

Criminal Record Certificate:

Obtain a clear criminal record certificate from your home country. The certificate should be recent and translated into Spanish if necessary.

Steps to Obtain Your Spanish Student Visa

Find Your Nearest Spanish Consulate or Embassy

Determine the jurisdiction where you need to apply for your visa based on your place of residence. Then, check the consulate’s website for specific visa application procedures and requirements.

Prepare Your Documents:

Gather all the required documents listed in the checklist above. Please make sure they are complete, up-to-date, and in the required format.

Schedule an Appointment:

Book an appointment for your visa application at the Spanish consulate or embassy.

Attend the Visa Interview:

On the day of your appointment, arrive on time and bring all your documents. Be prepared for an interview where you may be asked about your study plans and financial means.

Submit Your Application:

Submit your visa application form and all required documents to the consulate. Pay the visa application fee as per the consulate’s instructions.

Provide Biometric Data:

You may need to provide biometric data, such as fingerprints, during your visa appointment.

Track Your Application:

Keep track of the status of your visa application. Some consulates offer online tracking services for visa applications.

Collect Your Visa:

Once your visa is approved, collect your passport with the visa stamp from the consulate. Check the visa details to ensure they are accurate and match your intended stay.

Plan Your Travel:

Make travel arrangements to Spain based on the dates specified on your visa. Remember to plan for your arrival in Spain within the visa validity period.

Apply for Residence Card (TIE):

Upon arrival in Spain, apply for your residence card (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero or TIE) at the Foreigners’ Office (Oficina de Extranjería) within 30 days.

Steps to Obtain Your Spanish Student Visa

You have to fulfill all Spanish student visa requirements.

  • You must not be a citizen of a European Union (EU) member state in order to apply for a student visa in Spain.
  • You should be in legal status in Spain or, if applying from outside Spain, should not be forbidden from entering the country.
  • Demonstrate that you have enough financial resources to support yourself during your stay in Spain.
  • The requirement is typically about €700 per month, based on 100% of the IPREM (Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples), which is a reference figure used in Spain to calculate various social benefits.
  • Obtain private or public medical insurance with full coverage in Spain for the entire duration of your stay. The insurance should cover medical expenses, hospitalization, repatriation, and more.
  • Obtain an acceptance letter or enrollment confirmation from the Spanish educational institution where you will be studying. It would help if you were officially admitted to the course or university program.
  • Ensure that the course or educational center you plan to attend is recognized and complies with Spanish visa requirements.
  • Provide a clear criminal background record certificate from your home country. This certificate should show that you have no criminal convictions.
  • Include round-trip flight tickets from and to your country of origin. Only purchase these tickets once your visa is issued to avoid potential financial loss.

Spain Required documents for a Spanish Student Visa.

  • If you are under 18 and traveling without parents, a signed legal authorization from the parents or legal guardians is needed.
  • Provide a medical certificate stating that you do not have any diseases recognized by the International Health Regulation of 2005.
  • Please bring your original passport along with a photocopy of the main information page. Ensure that your passport is valid for the entire duration of your stay in Spain.
  • Three recent passport-sized photos. The photos should be in color with a white background and a neutral facial expression.
  • You have enough funds to cover your expenses during your stay in Spain. This may include bank statements, scholarship award letters, or financial guarantees.
  • formal acceptance letter or enrollment confirmation from the Spanish educational institution you will be attending.This letter should specify the course name, starting date, and duration of the program.
  • Complete and sign the Model EX form, which is the standard visa application form available on the consulate’s website.
  • An official admission letter from the university or school confirming your enrollment in the upcoming academic course.
  • Provide specific information about your accommodation arrangements in Spain. Include details such as the address, contact information, and proof of reservation or rental agreement.

Yes, you can apply for a Student Visa in Spain while already in the country.

Fortunately, it is possible to apply for a student visa while you are already in Spain during the validity of your visa or the first 60 days of your 90 days.

Following the recent change in the Spanish Immigration Law, you now have the option to apply for your student visa either from your home country’s Spanish consulate or directly from Spain, even while on a tourist visa.

Is your presence optional to submit your documents for a Student Visa Application in Spain?

Yes, you do not necessarily have to submit the visa application in person. You have the option to designate a representative to do it on your behalf through a notarized authorization letter.

For instance, you can appoint one of our lawyers to apply if you are unable to do so yourself or if you require assistance. However, please note that applying via email is not possible. The application must be physically presented at the Spanish consulate or immigration office in Spain.

By providing a notarized authorization letter, you can authorize a representative to handle the submission of your student visa application, ensuring that all necessary documents are properly presented. This can be particularly helpful if you are unable to visit the consulate or immigration office personally.

The processing time for the student visa application is relatively quick.

Luckily, the processing time for a student visa is short. Once you have submitted your application, you can expect to receive a response within approximately one month.

Criteria for Choosing a Course for the Spanish Student Visa:

Choosing the right course is crucial for successfully obtaining a student visa in Spain. The course you enroll in must meet specific criteria, including:

The course you select must be included in the Official Public Registry.

For university or training courses, it should be listed in the Registry of Official Courses. Alternatively, it can be registered in the autonomous community’s registry where the visa is being requested.

Registration in an Official Public Entity:

Whether it is an official course or from a recognized prestigious institution in Spain, it must be registered in an official public entity for the student residence permit.

Duration and Hours:

The studies should have a minimum duration of 20 hours per week. Courses with fewer hours are not considered valid for the visa application.

The course must lead to the attainment of a title or qualification from the academic institution.

You have to attain a title from an academic institution. Training courses that do not lead to a recognized title are not suitable for a student visa.

There is no limitation on the level of the course for the student visa application.

Eligible courses include early childhood education, primary, secondary, vocational training, and university degrees.

Non-European citizens can only enter Spain after the start date of their student visa.

If you are already in Spain on a short-term visa, it is possible to apply for a study visa from within the country. Changing from a tourist visa to a student visa is allowed if the criteria are met.

By ensuring that the chosen course meets these criteria and is registered correctly in official entities, applicants can fulfill the requirements for a Spanish student visa. This includes the course’s registration status, duration, title attainment, and compatibility with visa application regulations.

You can bring your Family Members on a Spanish Student Visa.

Yes, it is possible to have your family accompany you during your student stay in Spain.

Who Can You Bring?

You can bring:

  • Your spouse or registered civil partner
  • Children who are below 18 years old

How to Bring Them?

You have two options:

  • Include your family members in your initial student visa application from the consulate.
  • You can submit a joint application for your visa and their visas. Alternatively, you can apply for their visas after your student visa has been granted. This should be done within the validity period of your student visa.

You will need to demonstrate additional financial means for accompanying family member:

  • 75% of the IPREM (Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples) for the first relative.An additional 50% of the IPREM for each additional family member.
  • You will also need to provide documents proving the kinship relationship between you and your family members.
  • The validity of their residence authorization will be linked to your student visa.
  • They will be permitted to reside in Spain for the same duration as their visa.

Employment Restrictions on your family members

During this period, your family members will not be allowed to work in Spain.

By understanding these requirements and procedures, you can make arrangements for your spouse, registered civil partner, and children under 18 to accompany you during your studies in Spain on a student visa.

Always ensure to provide the necessary documentation and follow the guidelines provided by the Spanish authorities.

Yes, as a student with a valid student residence permit in Spain, you are allowed to work part-time during your studies. Here are the key points to know about working while studying with a student card:

Working Conditions for Students in Spain:

  • As a student, you are permitted to work part-time for a maximum of 20 hours per week. This allows you to balance your studies with work responsibilities.
  • You can work in a variety of fields, including hospitality, retail, tutoring, administrative roles, and more. It is recommended to seek positions that are independent of your academic schedule.
  • Employers are required to provide you with a formal work contract. Ensure that the contract specifies your working hours, wages, and other essential details.
  • Your employer should enroll you in the Spanish Social Security system. This provides you with healthcare coverage and other benefits during your employment.
  • You will be required to pay income taxes on the earnings from your part-time job. Make sure to obtain a Tax Identification Number (NIE) for tax purposes.Depending on the job, proficiency in Spanish may be required. Improving your language skills can enhance your job opportunities.

How can you change your Student Residence to an Internship residence?

Upon completing your studies in Spain, you have the option to apply for a residence permit specifically for internships. This residence permit is acquired through either:

  • An internship contract with a company, or
  • An internship agreement facilitated by the academic institution where you completed your studies.

Duration of the Residency:

  • The duration of this residency is directly tied to the length of the internship contract or agreement.
  • As long as your internship continues, your residency permit remains valid.

Applying for the Residency

You can find detailed information on how to apply for this residency on the official channels.

It is possible to intern in Spain with a student visa.

By transitioning from your student residence to an internship residence permit, you have the opportunity to gain practical work experience in your field of study.

This allows you to continue your professional development after completing your academic program. Always ensure to follow the proper procedures and guidelines set by Spanish immigration authorities.

Obtain Legal Assistance for Your Student Residence Permit:

If you find the process of gathering and submitting all the necessary paperwork to be difficult, there’s no need to worry. Our team of experienced immigration lawyers at Marfour Law Firm is here to assist you every step of the way. We will handle the entire application process for your student residence permit in Spain.

We can also help you get the residence permits of your family members so you can all come together.

What We Offer:

  • Preparation and submission of all required documentation.
  • Assistance with translations and legalization of documents.
  • Expert guidance on the process, ensuring you are well informed throughout.

Benefits of Our Services:

  • You do not need to worry that everything will be taken care of efficiently and accurately.
  • We will also provide advice on working in Spain while pursuing your studies.

By entrusting us with your student residence permit application, you can focus on your studies and let us handle the legal complexities.

Our goal is to make the process smooth and stress-free for you and your family.



Here are some important FAQs:

1:  Do I need a visa to study in Spain as a non-European citizen?

Yes, if you are a non-European citizen, you generally need a student visa to study in Spain for a program lasting more than 90 days.

2:  What type of visa do I need to study in Spain?

You will need a Spanish Student Visa (Visado de Estudiante).

3: How do I apply for a Spanish Student Visa?

You can apply for a Spanish Student Visa at the Spanish consulate or embassy in your home country. Make sure to check the specific requirements for your country.

4:  What are the basic requirements for a Spanish Student Visa?

Some standard requirements include a valid passport, acceptance letter from a Spanish educational institution, proof of financial means to support yourself, medical insurance, and a clean criminal record.

Spanish Student Visa

The Spanish student visa is a stay authorization that allows non-EU citizens to live legally while they are studying in Spain at a public or private institution.

It is only an authorization to live in Spain while the applicant is studying in Spain, not a residency permit.
There are two types of student visas:

  1. Short term student visa for studies between 3 and 6 months.
  2. Long term student visa for studies more than 6 months.

If the study time is less than 3 months, you do not need to apply for a student visa as your tourist visa will be more than sufficient.

obtained Spanish Student Visas

assisted clients


satisfied clients

How can I apply for a Spanish student visa and what are the main requirements?

According to the latest modification of the law made on 4 September 4 2018, the application can be submitted either in Spain or in your country of residence.

In order to obtain a Spanish Student Visa, the applicant needs to meet the following criteria:

  1. Must not be a European citizen.
  2. Have been accepted to a private or public school or university in Spain.
  3. Have sufficient funds to maintain themselves during their stay in Spain, specifically 100% of the IPREM, which is equivalent to 600 euros per month.
  4. Required to have private or public health insurance.
  5. Must not have a criminal record.

The application is submitted online, which means that our immigration lawyers can submit your student visa application in Spain on your behalf.


If you wish to extend your student Visa in Spain because you did not complete your studies, the law gives you the ability to extend your residency authorization according to the duration of your studies.

The applicant must:

  1. Have enough funds to maintain themselves during their stay in Spain
  2. Have private health insurance.
  3. Have a certificate of course completion.
  4. Have a letter of admission from the school, internship or a studies extension.

The application can be submitted from 60 days before to 90 days after the card’s expiration date.

Marfour can help you submit your application online.


After obtaining my Student permit in my country, once I arrived to Spain, Marfour helped me to do my pardon, fingerprints and obtain TIE Card. For sure, I am going to do the extension of my student permit with you guys. Thank you very much you helped me a lot

Ahmad Taher

Student Visa

Thanks to them, I could extend my student permit, because I had no idea about the extension process in Spain. A friend recommend me Maryem, and she arranged all the paperwork for me. Great service.

Peter Jackson

Student Visa

J’ai eu le plaisir de travailler avec ce cabinet a mon arrivée en Espagne. Madame Maryem Essadik parle très bien français, c’est pour ça que j’ai eu une bonne communication avec elle. Merci beaucoup pour votre guide.

Mounir darwisi

Student Visa


Marfour International Law Firm in Spain can help you get everything you need in Spain to obtain you Spanish student permit. Marfour is your English-speaking law firm in Spain. Do not hesitate to send us your enquiry.

Phone: +34 698 917 840
C/ de Bailèn, 36,  4º 2ª  Izda, 08010 Barcelona
Codigo QR - Marfour

Request A Consultation